HKPA report number 62

Site: Lantau

(***Click here for site guide***)

Date of Event: Monday 29th of June 2015

This Accident report was filed on Monday 6th of July 2015 and the last change to the report was made on Monday 6th of July 2015 by Trevor Gribble

Injury Index = 3
( 0 =No Injuries or Minor - brief visit to Doctor)
( 1 =Significant - hospitalized or work time loss less than 48 hours)
( 2 =Temporary Disabling Injuries)
( 3 =Permanent Partial Disabling Injuries)
( 4 =Permanent Total Disability)
( 5 =Fatal injuries)


A pilot holding a Club Pilot (PG3) Licence with 3-5 years of experience whist flying at Lantau at approximately 15-1700hrs on Monday 29th of June 2015.

The conditions at the time were reported to be Strong Lift with a SE wind blowing approximately 16-20kph. The temperature was 30-34deg C with Lots Of Cloud and Poor Visibility.

There were reported to be 2-5 pilots at the site.

Factors in this Accident:
Hard Landing
Impact with Obstacle
Strong Winds
Flight in Cloud

Event Description:

I visited the pilot in the hospital last night. The story was short.

He flew with two or three pilots in Monday afternoon. He flew well at first nearby the East take-off site.

The flying height was about 450m AMSL. All of a sudden the black cloud approached very quickly and he tried to escape southward. However, he could not leave the take-off site promptly because another wing blocked his way.

He then immersed in the black cloud. He felt very strong lift pulling him upward and backward. He had tried his best to pull big ear but still ascending.

He could not manage to orientate himself in this bumpy condition even he had a magnetic ball compass. About one minute of struggling, he had a hard landing nearby the top of Sunset Peak (N 22.257833, E113.964227 , 710m AMSL) and fell unconscious for a while.

After he had awoken, he contacted the other pilots via radio for assistance. He also used his smart phone to report his GPS location. Due to low cloud base, GFS could not send out a helicopter for evacuation.

The wounded pilot had to wait for evacuation by the rescuers and he finally reached North Lantau Hospital around 4:00 a.m. His left leg was broken and some dislocations of his backbone were found. He is now pending for surgery and it seems he needs at least two or three months for recovery.

Committee Response: (if any )

I am sorry to hear about how the injury to this pilot

I think this accident could have been avoided by being more aware of the changing conditions

Keep an eye on the weather. If it looks as if conditions are going to deteriorate, the get on the ground

Take the time to plan a safe top-land or depart the hill and land at the LZ

Being lost in clouds is very dangerous, especially in Hong Kong with the airport so close to this site

Make the decision to leave the site EARLY and be ex tar cautious when there is bad weather about.

Committee Action: (if any )

NIL Action Yet